At the DNR, we are committed to the conservation and management of the state's natural resources for outdoor recreation, economic development, and a sustainable quality of life. Apply with us and find your path.
Working Title: Engineer Senior
Job Class: Engineer Senior
Agency: Department of Natural Resources
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 11/23/2022
- Closing Date: 12/13/2022
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Natural Resources Dept / Natural Resources-MGEC
- Division/Unit: DNR OSD Region 3 / OSD MR Region 3 Engineers
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
- Days of Work: Monday - Friday
- Travel Required: Yes
- Salary Range: $34.30 - $50.47 / hourly; $71,618 - $105,381 / annually
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 212 - MN Govt Engineers Council/Engineers
- Work Location: St. Paul or Rochester, MN and Two Harbors, MN
- Employment Condition: Full-Time, Unlimited
- Supervisor Name: Yancey Stam and Jon Hendrickson
- FLSA Status: Exempt - Professional
- Telework Eligible: Yes
- Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities: Yes
Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
The work you’ll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a better Minnesota.
This posting will be used to fill up to 2 positions. One position will be located in either St. Paul or Rochester, and the other will be located in Two Harbors. Please indicate in your application which location you are applying to.
This position exists to provide licensed professional civil engineering services for the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in project management; design. This includes the development, preparation, and certification of construction documents for civil engineering applications; construction inspection and construction administration; and performance of field surveys and data collection. This position serves as an independent Project Manager for projects. Duties include development and administration of RFPs; consultant selection and management of consultant contracts; design and construction of projects including civil components of roads, bridges, recreational trails, water accesses, water control structures, retaining walls, civil aspects of ecological restoration, and other related work.
- Prepare and develop feasibility studies, designs, construction plans, specifications and contract documents for civil engineering infrastructure, and multi-disciplinary projects.
- Serve as the project manager for complex civil engineering and multi-disciplinary projects.
- Administer assigned construction contracts so that they are executed properly and completed on time.
- Perform assigned activities as necessary so as to maintain the effectiveness of Statewide Engineering Unit operations, as well as execution of special duties for the DNR so that emergencies and unique situations receive the engineering expertise they require.
This position has a flexible work arrangement and may be eligible to telework on a part-time basis which is subject to change. If approved, the employee would be required to complete a telework agreement. This position will require reporting to the primary work location on a regular basis and will be in the field most days of the week during construction season.
- Applicants must be licensed as a Professional Civil Engineer with the Minnesota Board of Architecture, Engineering, Land Surveying, Landscape Architecture, Geoscience and Interior Design (AELSLAGID) or ability to obtain licensure through reciprocity.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university.
- Knowledge and experience in a variety of Civil Engineering design, contract administration, and general construction practices.
- Previous supervisory or leadwork experience of paraprofessional construction engineering work and skills sufficient to ensure construction projects are completed in a timely manner.
- Experience administering construction contracts.
- Plan Production and Design Level proficiency in Autodesk Civil 3D.
- Design and Production level proficiency in AutoCAD Civil 3D along with Civil Engineering Software programs such as HEC RAS, Hydrocad, HY-8, Arc-GIS, or other comparable software
- Project Management Experience serving clients in the public sector
- History of work within a structure of professional billable hours
- Construction Stormwater certifications including SWPPP Designer and SWPPP Site Management.
- Proficiency in using Total Station and GNSS/RTK survey equipment.
Light Work - occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes and heavy hand tools or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. Even though the weights being lifted may only be a negligible amount, a job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with a degree of pushing and pulling of arm and/or leg controls.
This position requires an unrestricted Class D Driver’s License with a clear driving record.
It is policy of the Department of Natural Resources that all candidates submit to a background check prior to employment. All job offers are contingent upon passing the following components:
- Employment Reference Check
- SEMA4 Records Check
- Criminal History Check
- Conflict of Interest Review
- Education/license verification
How to Apply
Select “Apply for Job” at the top of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email [email protected]. For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
To receive consideration as a Connect 700 Program applicant, apply online, email the Job ID#, the Working Title and your valid Proof of Eligibility Certificate by the closing date to Hannah Ziemann at [email protected].
Why Work for Us
We are committed to continually developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our state and the populations we serve. The varied experiences and perspectives of employees strengthen the work we do together and our ability to best serve the people of Minnesota.
A recent engagement survey of State of Minnesota employees found:
- 95% of employees understand how their work helps achieve their agency’s mission
- 91% of employees feel trusted to do their jobs
- 88% of employees feel equipped to look at situations from other cultural perspectives when doing their job
- 87% of employees report flexibility in their work schedule
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Public pension plan
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 11 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minnesota state agencies are equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employers. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email [email protected] and indicate what assistance is needed.