Ramp Agent - MSP
Department:Ground OperationsOur Company PromiseWe are committed to provide our Employees a stable work environment with equal opportunity for learning and personal growth. Creativity and innovation are encouraged for improving the effectiveness of Southwest Airlines. Above all, Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.
Southwest Airlines will consider your interest in the Ramp Agent position if you are currently a resident of the state of Minnesota
If you are not selected for this job posting, you will not be eligible to reapply for this Ramp Agent position in Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) for 12 months from the day of the interview
The People of Southwest Airlines come together to deliver on our Purpose, which is to connect People to what's important in their lives through friendly, reliable, and low-cost air travel. Our Ramp Agents work in the outdoor elements to direct planes on the ground, handle cargo/baggage, and ensure our ground operations run smoothly. Ramp Agents are problem-solvers who enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and collaboratively with other Ground Operations Teams to meet flight departure timelines.
As a Minneapolis (MSP) Ramp Agent you can expect:
A union-based role that includes working assigned shifts based on seniority. Shifts can include early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Opportunities for overtime and shift pick-ups. Mandatory overtime is a possibility based on operational need. *
U.S. citizenship or current authorization to work in the U.S. required and no current orfuture workauthorization sponsorship available.
Fly for free, as a privilege, on any open seat on all Southwest flights-your eligible dependents too.
Up to a 9.3% 401(k) Company match, dollar for dollar, per paycheck. **
Potential for annual ProfitSharing contribution toward retirement - when Southwest profits, you profit. ***
Explore more Benefits you'll love: swa.is/benefits
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.We continue to look for opportunities to reflect the communities we serve, and welcome applicants with diverse thoughts, backgrounds, and experiences.
- Provides friendly service to and maintains positive relationships with all internal and external Customers
- Works in a cooperative spirit to ensure the success of our Company
- Responsible for providing legendary Customer service to people desiring to travel, use cargo or baggage service by servicing aircraft at ramps and terminals
- Loads, unloads, services, guides, and directs Company Aircraft
- Receives and records Customer baggage, air freight, mail and company materials as required
- Handles all aspects of loading, stowing and unloading baggage, cargo airmail, air freight, ballast and company materials according to a predetermined plan received either electronically or manually from an Operations Agent. Submits, either electronically or manually, a Cargo Bin Loading Slip (CBLS) to an Operations Agent
- Picks up, delivers, and transports cargo and baggage to and from aircraft and prepares records in connection with these responsibilities
- Warehouses, weighs, stacks, picks up and delivers air cargo, checks air cargo handled against accompanying forms to identify any mishandling or discrepancies and corrects routine errors
- Safeguards Customers' baggage, air cargo, air mail, and COMAT from weather, loss, theft, damage and/or destruction
- Uses jetway stairs frequently to carry items checked at the gate to the aircraft bin
- Reviews cargo forms for accuracy and corrects forms as necessary
- Performs interior aircraft cabin cleaning by hand, including sweeping upholstery, cleans windows, galleys and disposal containers in accordance with applicable paperwork
- Cleans and services lavatories, operates lavatory carts and disposes of contents in accordance with established procedures
- May perform duties of a Provisioning Agent, including stocking aircraft cabin interiors for flights with equipment and supplies such as literature, disposal, and refuse containers and commissary items in accordance with applicable paperwork. Maintains an inventory of such items and supplies
- Transports cabin and cleaning equipment between aircraft storage area
- Operates and/or drives motorized equipment, such as belt loaders, air start units, lift trucks, push back tugs, bag cart, lavatory cart and de-icers
- Manually pushes and pulls push carts and containers
- Works in the vicinity of and between passenger terminals, hangars and airfreight facilities, both indoors and outdoors
- May be exposed to a wide variety of weather condition, jet and machinery noises, fumes, dirt and dust for extended periods of time
- Completes forms and paperwork connected with work assignments according to established procedures, and enters such information in to the Company's information system as required
- Duties vary by size and organization of station.
- Provides friendly service to all Co-workers and Customers. Has routine contact with people outside of the Company such as delivery agents, shippers, etc.
- Must be able to meet any physical ability requirements listed on this description
- May perform other job duties as directed by Employee's Leaders
- Ability to work well with others as part of a team, and work under stressful situations
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete Ramp Agent training program with a 90% or greater average and an evaluation period
- Ability to read documents, follow instructions, learn and understand ramp operations procedures, rules and regulations
- Must be aware of hazardous situations and be able to handle emergencies as needed
- Must work under tight time constraints to accomplish quick turns of aircraft
- Must meet all grooming standards as outlined in the Ground Operations Employee Handbook and the Labor Agreement
- Must be able to be alert to moving vehicles or aircraft and use radio equipment. Must be able to communicate information and instructions verbally and/or via radio equipment
- No education requirement
- No experience requirement
- Must possess a valid state motor vehicle operator's license
- Must be able to obtain a SIDA badge and meet all local airport requirements
- May be required by Station Leadership to obtain a Customs Seal and meet all requirements to work international flights
- Requires you to obtain and maintain USPS Clearance and meet all requirements to handle US Mail
- Must be able to lift and move items of 70 pounds and/or more on a regular basis and repetitively lift weights of 40 to 50 pounds on raised surfaces
- Must be able to climb, bend, kneel, crawl, and stoop on a frequent basis and for extended periods
- Must be able to work in cramped or high places
- Must be able to carry heavy items up and down jetway stairs
- Must maintain the ability to wear prescribed uniforms
- Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines
- Ability to work shift work and/or overtime
*Overtime pay is computed solely on base pay rate
**401(k) match contributions are subject to the plan's vesting schedule and applicable IRS limits
***ProfitSharing contributions are subject to plan's vesting schedule and are made at the discretion of the Company
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please print/save this job description because it won't be available after you apply.